Saturday, January 22, 2011

Winterscape at Kew Beach

Decided to take a walk at the beach this morning.  Haven't been there for a while and I thought perhaps there might be some photo opportunities, as I am tire of the pictures I have been taking on my way to work or home.  It was cold this morning -- a chilling -16 degrees Celsius, plus the wind chill factor at the beach, which probably made it feel like -30.  A mistake I immediately realized I had made: didn't dress appropriately.  I wore running shoes and within 20 minutes, my toes started to numb, and I didn't wear a hat, so heat escaped pretty quickly from my head.  After about 45 minutes, I had to call it quits.

But it was worthwhile.  The grey clouds were interesting and the sun was shining through them.  It'a a mixture of warm and cold, both in terms of temperature and colour.  I shot around three hundred frames in the 45 minute time frame.  My prefer to use the Speed Priority shooting mode which usually shoots two to three frames in succession. Find this to have more keepers from lack of camera shake, especially in low shutter speeds.

I am quite happy that I got five or six frames that I consider better than my average photos.

Life Guard Station on Kew Beach -- NEX-5 & Pentax-M 20mm f4. Click to enlarge.

Life Guard Station from a different angle -- NEX-5 & Pentax-M 20mm f4. Click to enlarge.

No comments:

Post a Comment