Wednesday, September 29, 2010

New Toy -- Panasonic GF1

Picked up a used GF1 from Uwe today.   I have known Uwe for years from buying/selling on Craigslist.  He's a super nice guy who also enjoy old, manual focus lenses.

Now, I really do not need the GF1.  It's just more evidence that I am a real incurable gears addict.  Part of the reason was that my son Ryan has been nagging me to get a camera that can do HD movie, since I no longer have the T2i or the 7D.  Another reason was that I want to see if it can replace my G1, so that I don't have to carry a larger camera.  The answer is probably a "No".

It's awkward to hold the GF1, especially if you have larger/long lenses.  This a camera not suitable for manual focus lenses, unless you put it on tripod.  The high-res viewfinder and articulated LCD screen on the G1 is much much better for this purpose.  The major strength I see with this camera, is to use with pancake lenses, especially the 20mm f1.7, which unfortunately I do not have.

The movie is quite respectable.  Very high quality video and the continuous focusing in video is a real plus.  The speed of focus is a magnitude faster than the T2i/7D, even with the slow kit lens in dim light. I think I will use this camera more for video clips than taking pictures. 

The image quality is similar to the G1 -- very good in low ISO but falls apart after ISO 400.  I will use ISO 800 in emergency, but anything higher than that is too noisy.

Overall, it's a nice little camera that needs some nice small AF pancakes.

Flower -- GF1 & Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SSC at f1.4. Click to enlarge.

Dead Leaf - GF1 & Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SSC. Click to enlarge.

Bridge - GF1 & Canon FD 50mm f1.4 SSC. Click to enlarge.

1 comment:

  1. Like your 1st picture a lot, I love my G1 with more than 50 MF Lenses I collectet over 40 years, mostly carl Zeiss jena lenses.

    ReplyDelete