Friday, January 2, 2015

Some Thoughts for 2015

2014 has been a good year for mirrorless camera shooters.  The available options are staggering; 1" sensor (Nikon V/J series), Micro 4/3, APS-C and full frame and 2015 will only get better.  This year I would like to make a few changes to the way I shoot/acquire gear and I hope I can stick with it.

What I want to do, for the early part of 2015, is to make my collection of EF lenses work with the Sony mirrorless cameras (NEX-6 and A7) through the use of smart AF adapter.  I have about a dozen Canon EF lenses, most of them L lenses, that have not been used much since I do most of my shooting with mirrorless cameras.  These lenses include my favourites, 35/1.4L, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L, 135/2 L and the now broken 200mm f1.8L.  I have waited this long for the smart adapters to mature, and I think it's now the time to do it.  I will write a separate post detailing my findings on the adapters.  If the adapter works out well, I would not need to buy native Sony E-Mount lenses, as my Canon lens collection covers 16mm to 200mm, plus the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.

Buy fewer lenses.  Last year alone I added more than 20 lenses to my collection, mostly obscured, non-35mm format lenses.  I did enjoy most of them and I made some nice pictures with some.  But this year I will concentrate on using them to make pictures instead of buying more.  I will be happy if I can manage to buy less than half of what  I bought last year.

Shoot less.  Yes, shoot less and not more.  This may sound strange, but I want to shoot fewer pictures but more keepers.  In other words, put more thought into making the pictures.

We will see how it goes :)

Milkweed - Sony A7 & Wollensak 162mm f4.5 Type I

6 comments:

  1. Very 8x10 looking image :-)

    Sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I think the lens that took this picture is capable of covering an 8x10 negative :)

      Delete
  2. The grain looks like film to me, great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar realization last year - for the most part I don't need more lenses - especially since having two NEX6 bodies means I can have two lenses ready to go. (Like at my son's Christmas concert where I had one with the Sigma 30mm to record the whole stage while the band was playing and the second with the Sony SEL55210 to catch the moment when he was standing and I could actually see his face over the music stands.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did great with the setup. So many of your pictures are breathtakingly beautiful.

      Delete