Sunday, January 24, 2016

Mega G.A.S Attack

I went to the camera show today.  In fact, I planned to go this time.  In order to preserve my pseudo New Year Resolution, I sold my Gitzo carbon fiber tripod to fund the purchases.  In a way, it's an exchange and not new purchases.  How's that for an excuse, eh?

Very happy to see my good friend Paul at the show.  It had been a long time.  Also met Professor Bob, and many other familiar faces.

The Camera God must be smiling at me today.  The very item I have been looking for a long time, is the Pentax M42 focus helicoid, and I found it today.  In fact, Bill had two of them.  One still in the original box, like new.  The one I got looks like new in its leather case and is cheaper.  One turn on the focus ring, and the sensation of the silky smooth focusing of Takumar lenses was flooding back.  It's still pretty expensive at $80, but I know it will last my life time.

Pentax Focus Helicoid. 

One item I unexpectedly bought, was a New Canon F1 camera with a 50mm f1.8 lens, also $80.  Not even sure what the going rate is for this camera, but I remember it to be quite expensive.  I had the original F1 but didn't shoot too much with it.  This one has some nice brassing on the top and bottom of the camera and seems to be working.  I might have to shoot a few rolls of film now that I have it.

New Canon F1.

Bought a bunch of rangefinder cameras, mostly dead.  Of interest is the Olympus 35 RD with a 40mm f1.7 lens.  I was really looking for the 35SP with the 42mm f1.7 lens, but there wasn't one, unfortunately.  This one has a jammed aperture, and some dust/fungus inside, but I was willing to risk $10 for it :)  The other interesting one is the Argus V100 with a 48mm f2 Cintagon lens.  I can't wait to try this one out.  Hopefully I will be able to make it with with the aperture and focusing working.  I also had in mind a Yashica Lynx-5000E, but only found the Lynx 5000.  Wonder if the lenses are the same.  Matt thinks highly of the one from the 5000E.

Yashica Lynx-5000, Olympus 35RD, Canonet GIII-QL

Argus V-100 -- Best deal of the day at $5.

Few other misc bits, including the Nikkor-P 7.5cm f2.8 medium format lens for Bronica.  Will be interesting to see how this one renders.  I have a good feeling that it will produce nice pictures.

Nikkor-P 7.5cm f2.8 with Bronica focusing helicoid.

Overall, I think it was a productive day.  Got some stuff I was looking for.  Good exchange of goods for the Gitzo tripod that I hardly used.

6 comments:

  1. he he, Yu-Lin, I'll let that excuse count :-)
    Who needs a tripod anyway??!?

    Congrats for your purchases, especially the F1 is a steal, over here they go rarely under 150-200€, mostly even more. Great camera, I used it in its time...

    How I wish we had shows like that here *sigh*

    Have a great week and lots of fun w/ your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I really like that helicoid, wow - not the usual Chinese crap here!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mike. I have another carbon tripod, but not as nice :) I really like the F1 and probably will shoot some film with it, but I don't know when. Costco still offer film processing, I think.

      Since you are so resourceful, why not start your own show? Just need people to bring their stuff to sell. You can start small. Who knows, it might turn out to be the Photokina equivalent of used gear :)

      Delete
    3. Re. helicoid, It's very nice, but I found that it's opening is not large enough for the majority of my old lenses :( Can't have everything.

      Delete
    4. An own show? Good idea, but one small problem: too time consuming - I don't have enough time anyway :-(

      Too bad with taht helicoid. I guess it's 42mm inside, then?

      Delete
    5. Re: time. Very true. I don't have enough time to do my photography either. The helicoid is M42 on both ends. Good for smaller lenses.

      Delete