Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sony 16mm f2.8 Pancake Lens - Sample Pictures

So that Sony 16mm f2.8 E-mount lens is not the greatest lens ever made, but it is one of the cheapest, and the ONLY auto focus E-mount lens at 16mm or wider.  If you need auto focus wide angle lens wider than the kit lens, your options are pretty limited.  It's been more than two years since the introduction of the NEX system, and yet, the number of good lenses from Sony is pathetically few, especially small primes.  But, back to the 16mm pan cake.

The weakest part of the Sony 16mm f2.8 lens is its edges.  Although I think it's acceptable between f8-f11 for most casual use, there are clearly lenses that can do better than this.  For me, I won't hesitate to use it and I find that it is good value for the money.

New Building Rising -- NEX-5N & Sony 16mm f2.8 Pancake

The Red Rocket -- NEX-5N & Sony 16mm f2.8 Pancake

Feverish Construction -- NEX-5N & Sony 16mm f2.8 Pancake

The Hyatt Hotel -- NEX-5N & Sony 16mm f2.8 Pancake

5 comments:

  1. I really wanted to like this lens but can't and probably never will. The only use I have for it is when I go on bike trips and really don't want to pack anything bigger. I strap the camera around my wrist and snap away while riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not THAT bad, though I do think Sony should re-design this lens for better optical performance. You are right about the small size. It weighs practically nothing!

      Delete
  2. Agree with your synopsis, but I couple thoughts.....firstly, last year I did a test between this lens and the Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 LTM lens on a NEX3. I expected the Voigtlander to be noticeably better, particularly in the corners, but between f4.5 and f11 the lenses performed very similarly. (My test was performed outdoors, with the focus object approx 1.2m away.)
    Secondly, I have read in several reviews that the 19mm and 30mm Sigma lenses are excellent, so its an option that I think I will explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a good point about the Sigma 19mm. I think I will at least check it out. It's a relatively inexpensive lens.

      Delete
  3. > It's really not THAT bad, though I do think Sony should re-design this lens for better optical performance. You are right about the small size. It weighs practically nothing! <

    yes, I agree fully. A 16 mm is a standard lens on a camera of that quality. A crop out of the edges of this lens is pretty disappointing.

    ReplyDelete