Thursday, December 19, 2013

JML 50mm f0.95 TV Lens - Stopped Down Samples

I have had the JML 50mm f0.95 lens for a few years now, but I don't recall using it with apertures smaller than f2. It has been used mostly wide open or slightly stopped down. I took a few pictures the other day stopping down to f5.6 to see how it performs, and found that it vignettes quite badly on my NEX-6. So, sadly, it does not cover full frame. At f5.6, the center sharpness is very good, but the edges are very soft. Clearly, this was designed to cover a small sensor, and probably works best with Micro 4/3 format, if you want better edge.

This sounds like the lens is very bad and unusable, but that's not the case. When used in low light at very wide apertures, this lens can produce some very interesting pictures with shallow depth of field, and I am very happy with it, and used it quite a bit on my Panasonic G1, but not much on the NEX.

Definitely not the lens for landscape.

Frozen lake, note the vignette - NEX-6 & JML 50mm f0.95 @ f5.6. Click for larger.

Boats, slightly cropped - NEX-6 & JML 50mm f0.95 @ f5.6. Click for larger.

4 comments:

  1. yeah, definately looks cranky on the APS sensor, but not as bad as my 12mm f1.3 (even on the G1)

    But these lenses are about 'fun' more so than 'accuracy'. Here is one from the GH1

    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/11463499716_b1d0db9282.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lens is best on M43. That's why I am still very much interested in an EM-5 or EM-1.

      Delete
  2. It is c-mount, if modify to SONY E mount, maybe can cover APS-C frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it modified to E-mount and it works relatively well on APS-C sensors.

      Delete