Monday, April 7, 2014

My Take on the Sony A7s

The dust has finally settled for the A7s. The live streaming from NAB 2014 certainly created a lot of buzz for this camera and forums and discussion boards were all in overdrive. Many expressed disappointment, especially those who are interested in the 4K video; this camera can not record 4K video internally, like the Panasonic GH4 can, and you will need a very expensive external recorder to record 4K video. I would be disappointed too, if I were into video.  Luckily I am not, and I am hoping this "flaw", combined with the low megapixel count will make the price of the camera lower!

I don't think this camera will be a phenomenon success for Sony, as it does not natively record 4K, and the pixel count is too low for many people. But it addresses many enthusiast's need for a small camera with the highest image quality and exposure latitude, without the insane high megapixels. This is my kind of camera.  I have been waiting for a camera like this since the Canon 5D classic. With today's technology, a 12MP full frame sensor should have mind boggling low light capabilities with high dynamic range. The low pixel count will much easier on old lenses too, which is very important to me, having so much old stuff.

If the price of the A7s is the same as the A7, or, hopefully lower, this will be my camera. It iwll last me for many years, seriously.

Roof top - S.F.O.M 100mm f3.2 Projection Lens & Olympus E-M5

1 comment:

  1. For all the hype around shooting video (4K or HD) with digital cameras, I don't think these offerings are really aimed at the pro (and semi-pro) video market. If you look at the offerings from RED, Blackmagic or other "digital film" companies, what is important is compatibility (both with lenses and everything else around the camera). So while it's great the a7s can shoot 4K video (extras required), I wouldn't expect to see one on the end of a boom or a Steadicam.

    That being said, I do agree with you that this camera may be what you are looking for in a full-frame.

    ReplyDelete