Thursday, March 15, 2012

Solo Steel Drummer

Solo Steel Drummer
Steel drummer - NEX-5N & Kern-Paillard Switar 75mm f1.9. The seemingly drunk fellow leaning on the wall was actually recording the music.

Part of the reason people like c-mount lenses on their NEX and M4/3 cameras is that they have very short lens registers and the mount adapter is very thin, making them look like they are native E-Mount or M4/3 mount lenses.  I do think though, that the manual focus lens market has gone mad.  Prices keep going up like there is no ceiling.  If I had to start my lens collection now, I certainly would not have been able to buy the lenses I want.  Now whenever I see a good deal, I would buy the lenses and keep them, because, if I want to buy the same lens back, I may never be able to buy it the price I sell them now.

You've got to admit that many of these old lenses do have their very unique characters.  Modern lenses are designed to be sharp and well corrected and so most would produce pictures that are hard to distinguish between them.  If you look at the picture above, you know immediately it can't be taken with an auto focus modern lens, because of the severely vignetting and blurry corners, not to mention the distortion at those corners.  Why would people pay hundreds of dollars for a lens with such defects?  All I can say is horse for courses.  Aren't choices great to have?

No comments:

Post a Comment