Wednesday, March 21, 2012

More Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200mm f2.8 Samples

Street Lamp -- NEX-5N & Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200mm f2.8 @ f2.8

The Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200mm f2.8 is my first Sonnar lens.  I have had it since 2005.  Though not used extensively, it has always been one of my favourite manual focus lenses.  At more than 1kg, this lens looks funny when mounted on the NEX-5N, not to mention how difficult it is to focus.  The Peaking Level is a godsend!  It helps tremendously in achieving accurate focusing.

I now have two of these lenses.  Don't ask me why.  Perhaps I just like it a lot, and it's not a lens you see often in the used market locally.  It cost slightly more than what I paid for my first one in 2005.  Considering the price appreciation on used lenses, it's not a bad deal.

Stop -- NEX-5N & Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200mm f2.8 @ f2.8

Like most Sonnar designs, this one has very nice bokeh.  I like the bokeh a lot.  It's like a creamy soft cheese that melts in your mouth.  The longer focal lengths makes it easier to throw the background out of focus to isolate the subject of interest.  The only gripe I have is the two meter minimum focus distance, making it hard to get close ups.  An M42 extension tube of about 5mm would come in handy when close up is needed.

William's Helmet -- NEX-5N & Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 200mm f2.8 @ f2.8

No comments:

Post a Comment