Sunday, December 9, 2012

Shooting Swimming with Canon EF 135mm f2

Shooting swimming is hard.  For good shots, you need to be in the right position.  I used to be able to go on deck of the pool and shoot straight on as my kids swam toward me, but the staff no longer allow people on the pool deck during competition, so I have to shoot from the side, or from the balcony, which I find very difficult to get shots I like.

For Saturday's swim meet, my choice lens was the EF 200mm f1.8L, which I used on every swim meet, but too bad the lens stopped working.  I had to use the EF 135mm f2, which proved to be too short, especially when my kids are on the other side of the lane.  I shot mostly wide open at f2.  As anyone who has used the EF 135mm f2L lens would know, this is one of the sharpest lens, in the world, and f2 is a working aperture.

For me, at least in the facility of the swim meet, the 135mm focal length is  too short for shooting swimming. 200mm is optimal.  Of course, your situation may be different.

Ryan - Canon 1D Mark III & EF 135mm f2. Click for larger.

Megan - Canon 1D Mark III & EF 135mm f2. Click for larger.

Waiting for turn - Canon 1D Mark III & EF 135mm f2. Click for larger.

Taking a break - Canon 1D Mark III & EF 135mm f2. Click for larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment