Friday, January 13, 2012

Winter in the City

web_DSC01211
Streetcar in the snow -- NEX-5N & Canon nFD 50mm f1.2

Today we have finally had a more winter like day with some snow.  It wasn't bad, but was the most amount of snow we have had so far in Toronto.

Finally got the Canon new FD 50mm f1.2 fixed.  It had a stuck aperture.  I intend to complete the collection of all the f1.2 Canon manual focus standard lenses.  So far, I have the FL 58mm f1.2, FL 55mm f1.2, FD 55mm f1.2 SSC and the newly fixed nFD 50mm f1.2.  I think there are two more: 55mm f1.2 Aspherical, and the 50mm f1.2L.  These latter two happen to be the most expensive and sought after versions of the fast low light lenses. My favourite so far is the 55mm f1.2 SSC, but I haven't really done any comparisons with the nFD 50mm f1.2.  Hope it will be better than the 55mm SSC, as it's a lot smaller and lighter.

6 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful. I was searching the net for a lens and your blog popped up. I actually have the Nex 3C. If you can can you suggest a good lens for me?

    I have the zoom kit lens and no pancake lens. I do have a manual focus Meyer-Optik 50mm f.18 which is great but the range after adding the adaptor is so limited.

    I'm looking into something more wide even at 29mm that produces a crisp clear image too. Somewhere in the $200 to $500 range would be fine.

    If you have any suggestions I would totally be all ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice shot, looks like the lens was worth repairing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully captured the winter atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @anonymous: If you are looking for small lenses, I am afraid your choices are narrow: Leica Thread Mount (LTM) or M-mount. Unfortunately, most LTM and M Mount lenses are expensive. The only m-mount lens I have is the Voigtlander 50mm f1.4 (Cosina), and I have no experience with any other M-Mount or LTM lenses. Sorry.

    @lucindale: It's indeed a pretty nice lens. Haven't really used it extensively, but it looks promising.

    @Crix: Thanks. Like your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was fixing the FD 50mm 1.2 aperture easy enough? More so taking it apart and reassembling?
    THanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had to take the lens to the repair shop and got it repaired. Cost about $100CAD.

      Delete