Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Over Joy

web_DSC02282
Joy Squared -- NEX-5N & Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.8 Exakta Mount

My experience with East German lenses is that most of them are optically pretty good, but their build quality leaves much to be desired; they don't age very well.  I have gone through many of them and majority of them have some problems.  Most common problem is very rough focusing, and the other is aperture issues.  The rough focusing is due to the grease drying up.  If you handle a Takumar lens, at about the same age, the difference is like, day and night.

This particular Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm f2.8 (zebra verison) is no exception.  The focusing is rough, and the aperture is starting to lose control.  It's a very good lens, especially its amazing close focus capability, right down to 0.18 meters!
 

3 comments:

  1. I started with a Praktika and Exakta lenses. Two went broke within short time, one even within warranty, the other after I sold the camera. Quite a difference to legacy Canon FD lenses, most of them still going strong after 30+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Crix: That's the major issue I have with old East German lenses. Most japanese old lenses are still excellent after many decades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I have a CZJ Flek 35/2.8 Exakta mount too.
    I want to put the lens in my Sony Nex 3.
    Could you please help me which is the right adapter (lots of them on ebay) that will work proper for the lens and the camera.
    Appreciate your help.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete