Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hot Dog Stand in IR

Hot Dog Stand on Soho & Queen -- Canon 20D IR Modified & Pentax-M 20mm f4. Click for larger

I find that IR pictures get boring very fast.  They tend to have the same look and there is only so many ways you can process it.  They look dull if there are no vegetations in the picture, they don't look good when taken with larger apertures.  Even taking the pictures is a bit of a hassle, because you will always have to be aware that what's focused in the viewfinder is not focused in the picture, because focus point moves in IR, and how much it moves depends on what lens you are using.  Most modern lenses do not even have IR markings on the lens any more, except the very expensive ones. That's why I usually shoot with the Pentax-M 20mm f4, because I know how much I need to compensate.  But, once in a while, it's a nice alternative to the colour pictures that comes out of an ordinary camera.  For this reason, I would spend too much money on the IR camera.  Your interest could quickly wear thin.

2 comments:

  1. I was noticing that people are doing IR conversions for the NEX now. That would solve much of the issues with focus shift, of course the CMOS in the NEX is supposedly not as good as previous CCD designs. Still a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @soulnibbler: IR on EVIL cameras are fantastic and eliminates the focus problem. But for me, the 20D will be my last IR camera. IR modification is still too costly. For the people who want to get started on IR, I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete