Sunday, June 26, 2011

Let the Battles Begin

Red Bicycle -- NEX-5 & Minolta MC Tele Rokkor 200mm f3.5. Click to see larger.

Something I have often thought about, and meaning to do for a while, but never seems to bring myself to do it.  I am referring to comparing lenses of similar focal lengths.  I know it's a lot of work and really boring to do anything like this; partly that's what puts me off, as I don't really like to do that any more, as I used to do.  But, since I have many lenses of same or similar focal lengths, it really would be nice for others to see the differences, if any, of some of these lenses.

I am not going to shoot walls and test charts and dissect every aspect of the lenses in comparison.  I will shoot the same scene with two different lenses at a time, and possible provide a 100% crop for each.  No tripod will be used, so it will be very unscientific.  Please take the results with a spoonful of salt.

The plan is to do a comparison each day of the week, but it may not happen, depending on circumstances.  This week will be all standard lenses.  Tomorrow will be the battle of the pancakes: Pentax-M 40mm f2.8 vs. Contax Carl Zeiss Tessar 45mm f2.8.  The results may surprise you.

2 comments:

  1. Aloha! Looking forward to the lens comparisons, mostly how each lens renders and if CA is an issue. BTW, what is you normal kit of lenses you carry? FYI, I am very close to picking up a M4/3 and looking forward to trying a few older lenses, probably Canon FD ones as I am familiar with that line. Mahalo, Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you worry about CA, then old, manual focus lenses are definitely not for you. Even the best of lenses will have some CA, and that includes modern lenses, like the 85mm f1.2L, 35mm f1.4L, etc.

    I don't really have a normal kit of lenses, since I have so many of them. I would take whatever strikes I happen to like to shoot at the moment.

    ReplyDelete