Monday, June 23, 2014

Sony A7 and Contax Vario-Sonnar 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 - Sample Picture

I got this lens from Adam in 2009 and used it a handful of times and put it away until now.  I think at that time I was crazy about Zeiss lenses and just wanted to get my hands on anything I could afford. This particular lens has fungus in the rear group of lens elements and this affects the image quality slightly at the wide end. Even with the fungus, the long end is very sharp. This lens represented the low end of the Contax line, but it's well build and the overall image quality is very satisfying. Like its cousin, the Contax 35-70mm f3.4, this lens has a close-up feature which is very useful to get a sort of pseudo macro.

The 28-70mm focal length is more useful on full frame than crop sensors, as 28mm is quite wide and adequate for most situations. Many people do not like variable aperture zoom lenses, especially in the film days, but with digital it just makes no difference at all.

As I use the A7 more, I find that some of my lenses that were simply unsatisfactory on crop sensor bodies work like a new lens. The Leica-R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit is one, and this one surprises me as well. I don't regret getting rid of the Canon 5D Mark II and got the A7 at all. In fact, the A7 has become one of my favourite cameras.

Crane - Sony A7 & Contax 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 at f8

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. Have you compared this lens against the kit lens for the A7 which is also 28-70?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. I am way too interested into your result - the Kitlens vs. the Contax Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 28-70. ;-)

    thanks,
    marc

    ReplyDelete