Taking out the front element is very easy. Just removed the name ring with a rubber stopper, and then the retention ring that presses on the front element. As I was cleaning it, I noticed that the more I cleaned, the more scratch marks I left behind! This only means one thing: the coating is coming off as I cleaned. So, I ended up rubbing the coating under the front element off completely. The coating on the outside seems fine. After I put it back, I can't really tell, except now it's cleaner. However, the inner elements are still dusty, but that has to be for another day.
I also found a stronger spring to replace the weak one. It's still a bit sticky, but at least I can now change the aperture on the lens. The oil still needs to be cleaned.
Took a few shots and the pictures turned out quite nicely. I would say a pretty good deal for $20, with a bonus SRT-101 body as a paperweight :)
Megan - Sony A7 & Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 58mm f1.4 @ f2.