Saturday, January 5, 2013

Canon nFD 50mm f1.2 - A Couple of Low Light Samples

There are many versions of the Canon manual focus lenses that have the f1.2 maximum aperture.  I have the FL 58mm f1.2, FL 55mm f1.2, FD 55mm f1.2 and the New FD 50mm f1.2.  The later versions of the lens are optically better.  The nFD 50mm f1.2 is slightly better than the old FD 55mm f1.2 S.S.C in wide apertures, but the nFD version is much smaller and lighter with a 52mm filter thread versus the FD 55mm f1.2's 58mm.

The nFD 50mm f1.2 is what I have been using.  Love its superb optics and the small size and well built quality.  It's a lens great in day time but designed for, and excels at, low light situations.  Of the couple dozen or so lenses in the 50mm focal length, this is the lens I like to use the most in recent times.  Wish I could get my hands on a nFD 50mm f1.2L or the 55mm f1.2 Aspherical.  Those two should be even better optically, but I have never used them, unfortunately.  

Allen Gardens at night - NEX-6 & Canon nFD 50mm f1.2 @ f1.4, ISO 3200. Click for larger.

Lamp Post - NEX-6 & nFD 50mm f1.2 @ f1.4, ISO 1600

2 comments:

  1. Seems I must train shooting cityscapes in lowlight. I really wonder why picture 1 is not more blurry at aperture F1.4. All these different planes show homogene sharpness. How did you set focus point? The lady and bench in the foreground? The two illuminated pavillions in the midground? Focus point of Picture 2 is perfectly clear (lantern 1).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty far from the greenhouse and it can be considered at infinity focus, hence the uniform in-focus plane. Hope that helps.

      Delete