Monday, May 16, 2011

Pink Bicycle Bell

Pink Bell -- NEX-5 & Industar 50mm f3.5 @ f3.5. Click to see larger.

Over the years, I have had a few Russian lenses.  Most of them were copies of the Zeiss designer, such as the 85mm f2 (Sonnar) and 58mm f2 (Biotar).  The Industar 50mm f3.5 is a tiny pancake lenses that I picked up at the Photo Show on the weekend.  This lens is a copy of the Tessar design and produces surprisingly good and pleasing pictures.  As with most Tessar lenses, this on is sharp wide open and very sharp stopped down.

If you are looking for that Zeiss look, but don't want to pay through the nose, these old Russian lenses are good alternatives.

3 comments:

  1. I just bought one. Is yours an m39 or m42? I'm hoping I'll be able to use my m39 version with that gorgeously thin adapter as a very compact walk-about set-up.

    By the way, I've been very inspired by all your work, and your fantastic curiosity about lenses! I probably won't be building my own anytime soon, but I'm learning from your adventures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Citygrrl: the one I have is M42. Wish I had a M39 version, which is a lot more compact, but the M42 version works on my Canon and many others.

    Thanks for your kind words. I am happy to see that at least one person enjoys what I share. That itself is already worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! this helped me decide whether to bid on this lens! :)

    ReplyDelete