This is one of the cheapest and earliest AF ultra wide angle zooms available in many mounts. Due to the large number of them available, the price very reasonable. Of cause, the price depends on what name is on the lens. If you buy the Tamron version, you maybe paying 3 times more than the Quantaray version.
- Optically, the lens is quite sharp, even the edges are quite respectable on full frame.
- Focus is pretty quick for a non-USM lens.
- The build quality is better than most cheap lenses. Has metal mount.
- Filter does not rotate when focusing
- Internal Zoom (sort of)
- Minimum focus distance is not very close at 0.4 meters. Most ultra wide angles can focus as close as 0.25 meters
- Noisy focusing (compared to USM)
- Distortion at the wide end
- Front element not extends a bit while zooming, although not protruding pass the filter ring. This creates a gap between the front element and the lens barrel. A filter should be used to minimize the chance of dust getting into the lens.
King of Beers -- 5D & Quantaray 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 @ f7.1. Larger Size.
Self Portrait -- 5D & Quantaray 19-35mm f3.5-4.5 @ f6.3. Larger Size.
Vitamin Water -- 5D & Quantaray 19-35mm f3.5-4.5. Larger Size.
Construction -- 5D & Quantaray 19-35mm f3.5-4.5. Larger Size.