Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Blog Note

My apologies for the lack of posts lately.  It's not that I don't have anything to write.  In fact, I have written many articles but never published them.  I just find that my interest in the blog is weaning off.  Originally, I planned to do the blog for a year, or two years max, but did way more than that and it surprised me.  True, many of the posts have little or no substance but it was fun for me to write, and the blog kind of drove me to take more pictures and an excuse to acquire more gear :)

Another factor of the slowing down of my blog is the Flickr stream that I now maintain more actively.  It has taken up a lot of my time.  I often find that after processing my pictures, usually in the evening after work, and upload them to Flickr, I no longer feel like doing any more photography related activities for the rest of the evening.

Finally, the lathe project has taken up additional time, but I am very glad I got it.  So far, it has been extremely enjoyable and incredibly satisfying and rewarding.  What used to take me days to do with filter rings and other materials to make a lens work, I can now do it in a few hours, with more precision and better looking. I have learn so much, in a very short time, about lathes in general.  It's so true that reading about sometime and doing it are not the same.  Some things one must do it to learn, to acquire the skills, and to appreciate.  I have already found too many short comings of my micro lathe and started looking at larger lathes that allow me to cut threads, work on larger objects (not just for lenses), and be more efficient.

I do plan to update this blog more frequently, and probably more emphasis will be placed on lens conversion and using those lenses.  Also in the pipeline is doing some video of the lens conversions, but that will take even more time.  We will see what 2017 brings.

Berrilicious -- Minolta Chiyoko 4.5cm f3.5 from Minolta "A" Rangefinder & Sony A7

11 comments:

  1. I see you on Flickr but it's not the same: here you put your thoughts and procedures in one neat presentation and sequence of events. I see Flickr more of a "social" place rather than thoughtful creation.
    I like your work and I hope to see more of it.
    It partly because of you that I have attempted and succeeded with some lens refits and you always inspire me with your creations.
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that Flickr is more of a social platform, and I do enjoy writing blog posts. I am glad they have some positive effects to you and others, however few :)

      Delete
  2. I come here for the photos (I am also a bokeh junky). But I think the lens conversions and collecting seriously makes you a better photographer. Aeons ago you wrote your time might be better spent focussing on making photography instead of collecting gear, but I believe while focussing on the gear and tools, you subconsciously think deeply about what can be done with them.

    Just take the photo from this post. It is wonderful. Without the latte you first wouldn't have the lens to make the shot (which matches the subject perfectly and certainly can't be done with just any normal lens), second while working on the lens for an extended time, I am sure the thinking goes on as well, then maybe in the end the photo doesn't take that long. But it is just that it all comes together.. At least that is my theory : ). So please keep doing what you've been doing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clemens! I think you are right about lens collecting and modifications have some effects to my photography. If nothing else, I at least can enjoy some of these old gems that may never have a second life and end up in a dumpster or someone's closet.

      Delete
  3. I´ve been reading your posts for a couple of days. I like your work and the photos you take whith converted lenses. Really good staff. Thank you for sharing!
    I start with photograpy when a was a kid with my fother´s rangeinder. It was a Yashica Lynx 14e. I never get used to DSLRs so i´m going back to rangefinders, but this time a mirrorless one.
    I´m thinking seriosly, because of your wanderfull posts, to recover my old camera lenses and do the conversions to use them on digital cameras. I´m wondering how you manage to make the aperture shutter work using the ring on the lens. Do you know a link where I can read further on that?

    Thank you for your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luis. I am happy you like my blog :)

      For keeping the shutter open and controlling the aperture, unfortunately each rangefinder is slightly different, but one can almost always find the latch which opens/closes the shutter; just need a bit of fiddling. Once found, I usually just solder or glue it in place.

      In the future, I will try to include more details about these kinds of details. I am still learning as I go.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Luis
      For using an old camera lens (manual focus) on your mirrorless digital camera, you adjust the aperture ring to achieve the F stop you want, shutter speed is controlled electronically by the camera. The more important thing is to find or make a suitable adapter to connect the lens to your camera.

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much for the advices! I will start with a Yashinon DX 45mm f/1.7.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Hi
    Well creativity must have a drive, or it becomes mechanical.

    If your drive is elsewhere then that is simply a truth.

    Post as you are inspired to do so, and never feel it's obligatory :-)

    Each post has value, but inspiration makes that richer. Post as you are inspired, don't when you aren't.

    I would be happy to wait for the inspirational than glimpse daily the drudgery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please keep writing. I enjoy your blog. It has inspired me to adapt a few old lenses on my A7Rii. Had someone on Venice Beach wowing over my 1961 Leitz 135mm f/4.

    ReplyDelete