Monday, February 18, 2013

Sigma E-Mount 30mm f2.8 - Mini Review

Of all the auto focus lenses I have ever bought, the Sigma E-mount 30mm f2.8 comes up on top of the value for the money category. I bought this lens along with the 19mm f2.8 when B&H had a dual lens deal for $199. Essentially, the cost of the lens is about $130 with taxes/shipping to Canada. It's indeed a great deal, especially when you factor in the exceptionally good optics that it possesses.

Build Quality
The lens has a metal mount, and high quality plastic lens barrel. It does not look or feel cheap. Compared to most plastic kit lenses, this one actually stands out as of very good build. For normal use, it will last a long time, I am sure. The electronics will probably die before you will see mechanical problems. It strikes a good balance between cost and quality of materials used.

Downtown Toronto - NEX-6 & Sigma 30mm f2.8. Click for larger.

Size
I think many people are disappointed that for this focal length and maximum aperture of f2.8, the lens is not pancake sized. It's just very slightly longer than the Sony E16-50mm kit lens, but almost twice that of the E16mm f2.8 pancake lens. Do I find this (relatively) larger size an issue? Not at all. The NEX-6 is not exactly a pocketable camera, even with a very thin pancake lens, it would be difficult to fit it in your pocket. I think the Sigma 30mm lens looks nice on the NEX-6. Would I like it smaller? Definitely, if image quality is not compromised.

Focus Speed
This is one aspect of the lens/camera combination that is disappointing. The NEX-6 is not exactly a speed demon when it comes to focusing speed. I can feel the difference between the Sony 50mm f1.8 OSS and this lens. I am not sure if it's due to the very cold (-10c) temperature, but this morning when I was shooting, even in very good light, sometimes it took a long time to achieve focus. It's not a deal breaker, but frustrating. One other thing. This lens does not support the new phase-detect auto focus feature of the NEX-6/5R. Not that it really matters much.

St. Lawrence Flea Market - NEX-6 & Sigma 30mm f2.8. Click for larger

Image  Quality
A very cheap lens that does not produce quality pictures is not a good deal, regardless how little it costs. Fortunately, the Sigma 30mm f2.8 is one of the sharpest lenses I own. In fact, the lens out-resolves the 16 MP sensor by a such a large margin, that in many situations, moire is readily more apparent than other lenses. Already very sharp at f2.8, even around the edges. Stopping down improves sharpness but not by much. One has to wonder how Sigma could design and make a lens this good, and sells it for so little. If this lens is a bit wider, say 35mm equivalent, I would probably have it on the camera most of the time. It's one of the best bargains in auto focus lenses today.

What Don't I Like About This Lens?
Very little. I would like it to be a bit faster, both focus wise and in terms of maximum aperture, but then it wouldn't be selling at this ridiculously low price. The noise from the lens when not powered, is unnerving, but knowing that it was part of the design with a linear motor, I am sure it is not a problem. Also, this lens, unlike almost every lens Sigma ever sold, does not come with a hood. It's true that flare resistance is excellent on this lens, but I still would prefer to have a hood on it, mostly for protection of the front element.


Cement truck - NEX-6 & Sigma 30mm f2.8 @ f2.8.

Old & New - NEX-6 & Sigma 30mm f2.8.

14 comments:

  1. From what I've read these lenses are adaptions of those used in the DP1 & DP2 pro compacts so I guess a lot of the R&D was already covered. It's still a very generous move by Sigma, particularly when some lens manufacturers are hiking prices wildly, and given the proven optical quality of the product. I guess with the swift move to MKII versions and introduction of a new 60mm f2.8, all with a more premium look, Sigma might look to recoup a bit more, especially now they have everyones attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are correct. The beautified version of these lenses are likely to be much higher in price.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful shots, and these lenses are clearly top notch. I enjoy the very high quality of your work very much - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andre. It's a very nice lens indeed. Sharp from corner to corner.

      Delete
  3. greetings from austria,
    you have so many nice lenses and now we have to look at half-hearted pics made with a sigma 30mm ??????
    these lenses are clearly NOT top notch

    i own the 19mm sigma and this lens is hardly barable. i only use it to be able to give a passenger by my sony nex und to ask for making a foto of me and my girlfriend.

    the same would be with the sigma 30mm i am sure.
    these lenses have no personality and their owners do not want to realize, that they spent 100 or 200 bucks for a worthless lens. i never saw a photo at the internet, that wowed me, that was made with one of these budget lenses.

    count all the money together you spent for this lenses and buy a eg a voigtländer 40/1.4 (maybe 350 bucks used)
    .. this is a lens you can use, satisfying, good color rendition, .... and an m-mount to nex helicoid for the close focus kind of things.
    next step maybe a heliar 15mm/4,5 and you are in.

    if not please, please stick to all this nice Zuiko OMs and Pentaxes but please NO Sigma or sony budget lens.

    thank you &
    greetings michael




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry if you find pictures made with the Sigma 30mm f2.8 offensive. I am an equal opportunity lens user and don't discriminate against any lenses. I see each lens has its own characters and justifications for its existence. The 30mm f2.8 is NOT the same as the 19mm f2.8, which I also own. You may notice that I mentioned nothing about the color renditions of the lens, or its rendering characteristics. Most modern lenses do not have much of uniqueness to distinguish themselves from others modern lenses. Colors, to a large degree, can be adjusted to suit your taste, as oppose to film, where you are limited to its emulsion characters.

      I also own the Voigtlander 40mm f1.4, a nice lens no doubt, but has very different uses compared to the 19/30mm f2.8 Sigma lenses. I wouldn't shoot landscapes with the Voigtlander 40/1.4 as I would with the Sigma, but I would not hesitate to take out the Voigtlander if I am shooting low light or shallow depth of field kind of pictures.

      I am afraid I can not oblige your suggestion that I should not use any budget lenses. It's part of the fun/enjoyment to try different lenses, and I would use whatever lens that pleases me, even a cheap Sigma budget lens.

      Delete
    2. Just ignore him - i really like this blog of yours and i like your approach to this. I dabble a bit in DIY lenses myself, i own a bit of legacy glass and i also own this sigma 30mm . For sure - this is a great lens !

      Delete
    3. Well, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I totally don't agree with the saying that the 30mm f2.8 is not top notch lens. I think it is, especially when it costs so little :)

      Delete
  4. hello,
    everyone is allowed to use the sigma lenses ;))
    but as i mentioned before. i didn*t see one pic that convinced me that these are good lenses.

    you really like the colors of this picture?
    Downtown Toronto - NEX-6 & Sigma 30mm f2.8. Click for larger.

    or the contrast and resolution of that one:
    Old & New - NEX-6 & Sigma 30mm f2.8.

    your oldlenses.blogspot gave me so much inspiration the last months and i appreciate all your tipps and effort.
    but .... this is the wrong way my friend.
    i am sure.

    greetings
    michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael,

      It was a beautiful day and the sky was blue! I agree that I might have gone a bit overboard with the saturation and colours but that's the way I like these pictures to look like. I can't produce good pictures with the Sigma 30mm f2.8 does not mean others can't :)

      I am enjoying the Sigmas (19 & 30mm)!

      Delete
  5. Ok Michael, I'll take the blame. I told Yu-Lin to buy them, and stupidly he listened to me and did ;)

    I've heard these lenses called the "Sigmarit" - ie close to Leica image quality in a cheap package, and especially with the 30mm, its hard to disagree - and that's from a Leica glass owner. Like Yu-Lin, I like these lenses a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in good fun! Some are more die-hard old lens fans than others :)

      Delete
  6. I have Sony 16-50mm, sigma 30mm and some legacy lenses. I don't want to compare those lenses. I get wonderful pictures from legacy lenses but it is time consuming to use those manual focus lenses with adapter. I use Sony 16-50mm and Sigma 30mm for street photography. Sony 16-50mm gives me very sharp pictures at 30- 35mm and Sigma is little faster even in low light. Both are modern lenses with better coatings and inexpensive. At the end I get much more than what I paid for. It is my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why choice is such a wonderful thing! If auto focus lenses bring you happiness, embrace them and enjoy, just like so many who love manual focus lenses and derive so much joy from them.

      Delete