Sunday, November 13, 2011

101 Pianists - Toronto

The 101-Pianists -- Canon 1D Mark III & EF 16-35mm f2.8L II. Click for larger.

My daughter Megan, was fortunate to be one of the 100 kids to participate in the Piano Workshop at Roy Thomson Hall led by the internationally renowned pianist Lang Lang.  I am sure it has been an interesting, if not life changing experience for many of the kids.  Parents were allowed to take video and flash-less still pictures of the workshop.  That was a very nice thing to do, as most parents would love to record the workshop to enjoy it again later.  Lang lang was incredible of course.  He did play a solo piece by Liszt, which was not on the schedule.

Lang Lang -- 1D III & EF 135mm f2. Click for larger.

I brought along my 1D III and a few primes plus the 16-35mm f2.8L II and ended up using most the 135mm f2 and 16-35mm f2.8L II.  One of the best features of the 1D III and newer 1-Series of cameras, is the Silent-Shutter mode.  Well, it's not really silent, but is very quiet compared to the normal shutter sound.  Basically, when engaged, the return mirror is damped by lowering it slowly after the shutter is tripped.  This feature is perfect for concerts and quiet events.

Model Pianists Annie Chou & Anna Vertypolokh. Click for larger.

Young Pianists. Click for larger.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing these. My daughter participated but I did not have a camera. Your photos are excellent. Can you post more?

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter also participated in the Workshop and she enjoyed it very much. I sat at very edge - very hard to take a good picture. Your picture are just stunning! Wish you could upload more!
    Best Regards,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous: Sorry I didn't take too many pictures. I tried not to take many pictures during performance as the shutter sound would be distracting to the audience close by. I added a couple more pictures. Hope your kid is on the picture.

    @Janet: I added a picture of your daughter Annie. If you want a large size, please e-mail me and I will send you a full size picture for printing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big thanks, Mr. Chan!!!!!! I love the pictures so much!!! I sent you my email this morninbg. Please check your mail box.
    Best Regards,
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel sorry for your daughter. These 100 kids were actually used as deco for Lang Lang's self-promotion.

    ReplyDelete